Ankeny Event Planner: Annual Springtime Party, Appliance Recycling Day, Tiger Cub Blitz and More
Looking for something to do this week? Look no further than Ankeny Patch to fill up your planner.
You could find all these events in our events calendar, but we at Ankeny Patch thought we would make it easy for you by putting the highlights of this week all in one, convenient place.
Here's what is going on in Ankeny the week of April 23-29:
- DMACC Ankeny Campus will hold an Earth Day campus clean-up today starting at 10 a.m. Clubs and other interested DMACC employees should check in with Student Activities in Building 5, room 27. Lunch is provided for everyone that works a half hour or more.
- Bricks 4 Kidz will be at Kirkendall Public Library today at 3:15 p.m. Bring your kids in for some educational fun using LEGOs, the building blocks we played with when we were young.
- The Ankeny City Council will meet in a special planning session tonight at 5 p.m. at City Hall. To see the agenda for tonight's meeting, check here.
- Ankeny Parks and Recreation is teaming up with The Des Moines Bicycle Collective to offer a confident cycling course tonight . The course will run from 6-8 p.m. at the Lakeside Center. This class will help bicyclists prepare for the summer bicycle season and bike month in May. The course is free but pre-registration is encouraged by calling 515-963-3570.
- The Ankeny Geneaology Chapter will meet at Kirkendall Public Library tonight at 7 p.m. The meeting is open to all members of the public.
- DMACC Ankeny Campus will hold an Accounting Career Day today at 8:30 a.m. Accounting students and alumni will review interviewing, resumes and dressing for success. The event will be held in the Career Center of Building 7. Pre-registration is required by calling Jacki at 515-964-6215.
- Kirkendall Public Library will hold a couple adult computer classes today. At 10 a.m., sign up for search engine strategies for adults. Participants will learn keyword searching, major search engines, web portals, directories and natural language searching. At 2 p.m., the library also will hold a Meet the Mouse computer class for beginners. This class is the perfect place to start for people with little or no computer skills. Registration is required for both classes by calling the library at 515-965-6460, ext. 5.
- Join members of the Ankeny Chamber of Commerce for a ribbon cutting for Wees Tees, which will be held at their business located at 306 S. Ankeny Blvd. Come for a time of networking and to see what the business has to offer.
- Hungry? Think about having dinner at Wendy's tonight. From 5-8 p.m., a portion of all proceeds will go to benefit the Crocker Elementary PTO.
- Come see Ankeny students of all ages perform in the All-Ankeny Jazz Performance on Tuesday night. The concert will feature student musicians in grades 7-12 and begins at 7:30 p.m. at Ankeny High School. The concert is free and open to the public.
- Ankeny's annual Savings Safari and Springtime Party will kick off today at Hy-Vee. From 4-7 p.m., Hy-Vee Kids' Club will hold "Monkeying Around", an event featuring visitors from the Blank Park Zoo as well as jungle themed activities. Proceeds will go to benefit improvements at Prairie Ridge Sports Complex.
- Are you a new member of the Ankeny Chamber of Commerce? If so, the Chamber will hold its April orientation reception today starting at 12 p.m. in the Chamber meeting room. Come learn about the Chamber, meet other new members and enjoy some lunch. This month's presenting sponsor is Benchwarmer's.
- Today, Kirkendall Public Library will host the "Piano Blues" music program at 12:15 and 7 p.m. "Piano Blues" directed by Clint Eastwood, is part of executive producer Martin Scorsese's homage to the blues created for PBS in 2003. This program is led by Joan Jamison. A short DVD will provide basic information and major musical works will be presented and discussed.
- This morning, take the little ones to Tot Time at the library. Tot Time is a time set aside for kids and moms/caregivers to gather, play and get to know one another. Tot Time is held in the library meeting room and begins at 10:15 a.m.
- At 2 p.m. today, the Ankeny Public Library will hold an Exploiting Google computer class for adults. Participants will learn some of the tricks and tools of this powerful search engine, including advanced search features, translation tools, dictionaries and Google tools. This class is an excellent follow-up to the Search Engine Strategies class. Registration is required for both classes by calling the library at 515-965-6460, ext. 5.
- Join the Ankeny Chamber for a ribbon cutting today to showcase the new remodel of Hy-Vee Drug Store. The event will begin at 4:30 p.m. Come network with other members and see the store's new look!
- The Ankeny library will hold drop-in family story time tonight at 7 p.m. Bring the kids in for a good story. No registration is required.
- The Ankeny Band Shell in Wagner Park will host an outdoor movie showing of DreamWorks "Madagascar" tonight at 7 p.m. This will be the first outdoor movie of the year and will begin at dusk. Admission is $1 per person and popcorn will be provided. This event is part of the Savings Safari and Springtime Party.
- Tonight, the Ankeny High School rugby team, organized by the Iowa High School Rugby Association, will be hosting a tournament starting at 5 p.m. Teams from all over the state will be competing against each other. Admission is open to the public and is $5 per person. The tournament will be held at DMACC in Ankeny.
- Come to Hy-Vee tonight for the "Roarin' Good Grill Out", part of the city's Savings Safari and Springtime Party. From 4-7 p.m. tonight and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, staff members of Ankeny Hy-Vee, members of the Ankeny Park Board and Sports Complex Foundation Board will be serving up hot dogs, hamburgers and brats to benefit Prairie Ridge Sports Complex.
- The Ankeny Community Theater will continue its production of "Father of the Bride" tonight at 7:30 p.m. This classic production from the 1950s tells the story of a father who isn't dealing very well with his daughter's pending nuptials. As the family draws closer to the wedding, hilarity ensues. Shows also will be held at 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday, which is the final showing.
- The city of Ankeny will hold its annual appliance and electronics recycling day today at the Public Works Maintenance Facility, starting at 8 a.m. Now's the time to get rid of your old VCR, computer system, freon, water colors, scrap metal, excercise equipment, refrigerators and more.
- The Ankeny Area Chamber of Commerce is hosting a legislative coffee session at the Neveln Center, located at 406 S.W. School St., from 9-11 a.m. The coffee will feature Representative Kevin Koester, Senator Jack Whitver and Polk County Supervisor E.J. Giovannetti.
- The Ankeny Writer's Group will meet at 9 a.m. today at Kirkendall Public Library. Mary Swander, Iowa's Poet Laureate, will talk and discuss the state of poetry in contemporary society, illustrating her ideas with her original work. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- The Ankeny Cub Scouts will hold their inaugural Tiger Club Blitz from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Wagner Park Band Shell. Parents, kids and members of the community are invited to come out and learn about Cub Scouting. Several scouts also will be participating in events and activities that talk about character, citizenship and teamwork.
- Today, tour the metro's most advanced Green home nestled in Ankeny's Prairie Trai development. From triple-pane windows to reclaimed wood accents, this Net Zero home powers itself through solar energy, yet looks and acts like a regular Iowa home. The open house will be held from 1-4 p.m. Check here for more information.
- The Ankeny High School Drama Department will perform its final production of the year today at both 2 and 4 p.m. "Sonoma White and the Seven Dolts" is student produced and directed by seniors Kaylea Carico and Christina Racicot. For more info on the play, check here.
- Going through a divorce? Ankeny First United Methodist Church holds a divorce support group each Sunday. The group meets at 3 p.m.
- Are your kids fans of story time at the Kirkendall Public Library? If so, story time is scheduled every morning at the library. You can check out our events calendar for details on when story time is held and how you can register your kids for the fun event.
- The Ankeny Art Center will continue its third and final exhibit in its K-12 Art Exhibition at 9 a.m. each day this week with works of art by students from the Ankeny School District. The exhibit will run through April 28. Bondurant, North Polk, and Ankeny Schools are all participating in the exhibition. The Ankeny Art Center’s K-12 exhibits are part of the facility's extended outreach programming, intended to introduce and familiarize students with the gallery setting.