Ankeny Event Planner: Class of 2012 Graduates, Ankeny Cleanup Days, Story Time with the Fire Department and More
Looking for something to do in Ankeny this week? Look no further than Ankeny Patch to fill up your planner.
You could find all these events in our events calendar, but we at Ankeny Patch thought we would make it easy for you by putting the highlights of this week all in one, convenient place.
Here's what is going on in Ankeny the week of May 14-20:
- Registration continues this week for Holy Trinity Lutheran Church's Vacation Bible School. Join the church for "Operation Overboard" and dare to go deep with God! Kids in kindergarten through fifth grade are welcome to participate in a fun-filled week of adventures, songs, crafts, recreation and storytelling. Two sessions will be offered and registration cost is $18. Check here for more info.
- The Ankeny City Council will meet in special session tonight at 5 p.m. at Ankeny City Hall. To see what's on tonight's agenda, check this link.
- Kirkendall Public Library will hold a special story time with members of the Ankeny Fire Department at 10 a.m. today. Story time will be held at the fire department as the facility is currently housing library activities while Kirkendall undergoes improvements.
- The Ankeny Young Professionals will hold their May membership meeting at 11 a.m. today at the Noodle Zoo in Ankeny. Anyone is welcome to attend to see what this group is all about.
- The Ankeny Area Chamber of Commerce is holding a ribbon cutting today for 2 for U Daycare. The event will start at 4:30 p.m. at 6950 N.E. 14th St.
- Looking to get active? Ankeny First United Methodist Church will hold a couple activities today including Seniors Exercising Together at 10 a.m. and yoga at 6 p.m. For more info on these events, call the church at 515-964-4249.
- Books and a Bite will be held this afternoon at the Ankeny Fire Department, current location of Kirkendall Public Library activities. The program is a book group for kids in third through fifth grade. Books and a Bite starts at 3:15 p.m.
- The Ankeny Chamber of Commerce will hold its May orientation reception today at 4:45 p.m. This is a way for new Chamber members and managers to learn about the Chamber and ways their businesses can be involved. This month's reception is sponsored by Ankeny Patch, so whoever attends will get to learn a little more about us, too!
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Ankeny will hold its senior baccalaureate dinner tonight at 6:30 p.m. in the church's fellowship hall. All soon-to-be graduates who are members of the church are welcome to attend.
- Ankeny Chamber of Commerce members are invited to attend the area's Regional Business After Hours today. The event will be held from 4-6 p.m. at 4825 Copper Creek Dr. in Pleasant Hill. Those who attend will get the chance to network and meet other Chamber members from around the Des Moines metro.
- The Ankeny Chamber will hold a ribbon cutting today for Flat Tire Lounge in Madrid. The event will be held at 4:30 p.m. at 304 S. Madison St.
- The Ankeny Police Department will be holding public tours of the department from 5-8 p.m. The event is being held in recognition of National Police Week and each tour will be guided by Ankeny police personnel and last approximately 45 minutes.
- Kirkendall Public Library will hold a special story time with members of the Ankeny Fire Department at 6 p.m. today. Story time will be held at the fire department as the facility is currently housing library activities while Kirkendall undergoes improvements.
- Kirkendall Public Library will hold an evening book discussion for adults at 6 p.m. tonight at Okoboji Grill in Ankeny. This month's book up for discussion is "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls.
- The Ankeny Young Professionals will hold their annual Tailgate Party today in the parking lot of the Ankeny Chamber. From 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., enjoy a complimentary lunch as well as door prizes.
- Ankeny Cleanup Days — or Tree & Branch Recycling Days — officially kick off today and continue through Sunday. From 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and from 12-4 p.m. Sunday, bring your tree branches, limbs and other yard waste to Prairie Ridge Aquatic Center or the Public Works Maintenance Facility for drop-off. Check here for more information.
- You've likely been waiting all year and now it's back! Today marks the first day of the 2012 season of the Uptown Ankeny Farmer's Market. Get the best in local good and produce today and each Saturday through September. The market runs from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. and is located at 702 S.W. 3rd St.
- Ankeny Christian Academy's Class of 2012 will graduate today. ACA commencement will be held from 2-4 p.m. in the school's auditorium.
- Ankeny High School's Class of 2012 will walk across the stage today to receive their diplomas and mark the end of their high school careers. AHS commencement will be held from 1-3:30 p.m. at the Knapp Center, located at 2601 Forest Ave. on the Drake University campus in Des Moines.
- Today, tour the metro's most advanced Green home nestled in Ankeny's Prairie Trai development. From triple-pane windows to reclaimed wood accents, this Net Zero home powers itself through solar energy, yet looks and acts like a regular Iowa home. The open house will be held from 1-4 p.m. Check here for more information.
- Going through a divorce? Ankeny First United Methodist Church holds a divorce support group each Sunday. The group meets at 3 p.m.