Ankeny Event Planner: Kiddies, College and Commerce
Looking for something to do this week? Look no further than Ankeny Patch.
You could find all these events in our events calendar, but we at Ankeny Patch thought we would make it easy for you by putting the highlights of this week all in one, convenient place.
Here's what is going on in Ankeny this week:
- Registered for story time this week at Kirkendall Public Library? It's held each morning during the week beginning at 9:15 a.m. Online pre-registration is required. Visit our events calendar for a full list of days and times, as well as find out how to register.
- Both the Ankeny City Council and the Ankeny school board will meet tonight for regular meetings. The council meets at City Hall at 5:30 p.m. and the school board meets at the district office, located at 306 S.W. School St., at 5 p.m.
- Have kids who are getting close to college? Attend the school district's College Planning Night, which will be held tonight at Ankeny High School, located at 1155 S.W. Cherry St. The event begins at 6:30 p.m.
- On Tuesday, attend a ribbon cutting for Ankeny Orthodontics, hosted by the Ankeny Area Chamber of Commerce. The ribbon cutting will be held at 2575 N. Ankeny Blvd. at 12 p.m.
- The Ankeny Community Theatre will hold auditions Tuesday for its next production, "A Nice Family Gathering." The auditions begin at 7 p.m. Cast requirements for the show are four males, ages 25 - 70, and three females, ages 20 - 70.
- Do you have kids in school at Northwest Elementary? Encourage them to walk to school Wednesday as Northwest is participating in International Walk to School Day. This event is expected to draw approximately 5,000 participants from all 50 states and 40 countries from around the world.
- Do you have a friend or family member who just can't seem to figure out how to use the Internet? Sign them up for the Basic Internet Computer Class for Adults at Kirkendall Public Library, scheduled for Wednesday.Topics to be covered include getting connected, Internet terms, navigating the Internet, browser menus and search engine basics. The class begins at 10 a.m.
- Attend a ribbon cutting Wednesday for Hair Sanity, located at 2945 S. Ankeny Blvd. The event is hosted by the Ankeny Area Chamber of Commerce.
- On Thursday morning, take the little ones to Tot Time at the library. Tot Time is a time set aside for kids and moms/caregivers to gather, play and get to know one another. Tot Time is held in the library meeting room and begins at 10:15 a.m.
- Ankeny School District will hold parent-teacher conferences tonight from 4:30-8:30 p.m. for students in grades 8-12. Visit the school district's website for more information.
- On Friday morning, the Playground for Kids in Ankeny is celebrating five years in business and wants you to help them with the party. In addition to $5 admission all day, a special celebration will be held from 5:30-8 p.m. Check out what the Playground has lined up.
- Residents of the Ankeny area will join with thousands of other Iowans in a one-kilometer "Start Somewhere" Walk at noon on Friday. Local walkers will meet at the Ankeny Hy-Vee, located at 410 N. Ankeny Blvd. In addition, a kick-off party and grill-out will be offered at Hy-Vee starting at 11 a.m. Walkers can sign up for the event here.
- Do you have kids who attend Northview Middle School? The school's student social and dance will begin at Northview at 7 p.m. Encourage the kids to go, hang out and make some new friends.
- Did you miss the debut of the Ankeny Community Theatre's production of "Dead Giveaway." No worries, there are three more performances this weekend. Attend a performance of the murder mystery at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, or a 2 p.m. matinee performance on Sunday.
- The city of Ankeny will hold its annual Tree and Branch Recycling Days on Saturday. Take your autumn yard waste to the city maintenance shop located at 211 S.E. Lorenz Dr. from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. For requirements and other information, click here.
- Dogs need to have a little fun, too. On Saturday, the annual Barktoberfest will be held from 1-5 p.m. at Chips restaurant in Ankeny. It's the largest dog party of the year complete with food, music, agility demonstrations and fun for you and Fido.
- Parents, do you have kids who attend Westwood or Terrace Elementary schools? The PTOs of both schools are hosting their annual Fun Nights on Saturday. Westwood's will begin at 4 p.m., and Terrace's at 3 p.m.
- Find out the best Ankeny has to offer Saturday night at "Taste Ankeny, Experience Ankeny", hosted by the Ankeny Area Chamber of Commerce. Vendors will abound this event which begins at 5:30 p.m. at FFA Enrichment Center, located at 1055 S.W. Prairie Trail Pwky.