With a few weeks of school under our belts, the first signs of cold epidemics are sweeping through local elementary schools.
And the germs spread to parents and workplaces.
Each school year seems to kick off rounds of illnesses -- from colds to pink eye. Then there are other problems that seem tied to the end of summer break -- head lice spreading or playground injuries.
Unsure how to head off some of these maladies? Want to know what signs to look for to contain health and hygiene problems?
To address these questions and more, we've recruited some pros. In the comments, ask them your questions about illnesses likely to spread, and how to prevent them..
Participating pros are:
• Brian Coppess, associate principal, Urbandale High School.
• Karrie Vander Sluis, DC, chiropractor, of Vander Sluis Chiropractic, Urbandale.
• Barb Allen, RN, retired school nurse, Johnston.
• Jason Bradley, Doctor, naturopathic physician, Washington Street Wellness Center, Iowa City.
• Dr. Brianne Day, physician, Mercy Waukee Clinic